Wednesday, July 27, 2011

BiTZ...DaBhezt@21: DUGUAN...


Last Sunday, I was seen again with a bandage on my right arm. Surprisingly, some laughed when they see another bandage on my left arm. Though it became a point of jokes and queries for everyone who may see me, I'm still proud to walk on the pathway of CMU and through the streets of Tanza with that on my two arms. 

The reality of it: I came from another life-saving act. I have just donated blood then.

This is my fourth year donating blood and giving my share of life for those who need it. Mula sa isang eksena ng di-pagpapaalam sa magulang, naging taunan ko na po itong gawain. And it feels good for me to give my connection to those in need. I'm not after the money (though some have this as a reason), but I'm at the most after giving my share for the relief of others in need.

I was still in second year when I first donated blood. It was also my first time to be acquainted with my blood type: O+. Though my parents didn't agree with my decision, I just did things on my own; at the end of the day, they discovered that I donated blood , which led to their late consent.  I also remember then that I gave blood with an empty stomach. Siyempre, first time kong gagawin iyun, so I have no idea of what to do. Nevertheless, the attending volunteers literally saved me from the danger, and gave me something to sip why my blood is being sipped at the same time. The place: CMU Students' Center. The date: July 2008 (I believe it became part of  the Birthday Month, 1 year Older, 1 Year Wiser, 1 Year Nearer)

The second time was Aug. 18, 2009, on the eve of my birthday (19 sa 19). This time, it's for the welfare of my classmates mom (RIP). We were taken at a hospital in Manila to donate blood. She provided good food for me to eat, as I was preparing myself for the real thing. The traumatic part of it: the attending physician was a homo, and he took advantage of the time to sexually please me. Hindi lang niya alam. I also believe that he also did the same thing to my other classmate, that led him to experience a deeper trauma. He's straight, so I suppose... (alam ninyo na!!!)

The third time happened last October 2010 at CMU grounds. While I was bled, I just kept on talking and talking. That is my usual attitude during bloodletting, so as not to feel the pain (or at least lessen it) from the needle on my right arm. I thought I would not be allowed to donate blood because of my low BP. And so, I jugged in the middle of the heat just for my blood pressure to raise. I returned to the booth and they reprimanded me for my deed. I answered, Eh di ba po, kailangan kong gawin yun kasi mababa nga ang BP ko? When they checked my BP again, they realized that what I did was right; my BP raised to the adequate level. At the end of it, I had my blood given to the Red Cross.

What happened last Sunday was a call of volunteerism. It is for the husband of the former University President of CMU who is about to undergo an Open-heart Surgery this week. Eight volunteers (I am among them; the rest came from the ROTC Cadets and CWTS Studs) went to St. Luke's Medical Center to try donate their blood for the cause. Since my companions are freshmen, this is their first time donating blood. Out of the eight volunteers, only two were bled, I and a CWTS student. For him, it means exemption from the prelim exams; for me, it means a continuation of something which I do for the welfare of others. Now, about the other bandage in my left arm, they took a sample of my blood from that arm. They took the bag from the right one.

Fr. Junjun de Guzman, our parish priest, cited my deed on his Mass which I attended last Sunday. In his homily, he said, Tulad ni Kuya Bitoy ninyo, mayaman siya... sa kawang-gawa. Biruin ninyo, wala siyang kayamanan, ngunit nakapagbahagi pa rin siya ng buhay sa pamamagitan ng pag-donate ng dugo. Hindi niya pinag-kait ang bahagi ng kanyang buhay para sa ikaliligtas ng iba. Ayan, kahit masakit ang braso dahil sa pag-donate ng dugo, nagawa pa rin niyang makatugtog ng gitara! 


You know? Donating blood is something worthwhile for all of us. Aside from the physiological benefits that it may give for the donor (including the cleansing of blood and motivation of our blood marrow to create more blood cells), you have this feeling of humble pride that you have given a piece of your life for others. As you donate blood every three months (or yearly in my case), you tend to help more and more people who are in need of blood. You get to be more younger (in terms of blood), and you add-up more points in Heaven for your good works. Isn't it great?

I'm not writing about the topic just to expect some appreciation from you. I am writing because I know for certain that many people out there are in need of blood. We must not sit down and watch them die of loss of blood while we are able to donate even just one bag. If we know we are able-bodied, we must do our share. if we know we are capable, and follow the medical requirements, then we must do what others cannot, or do not do. 

Donating blood means giving life, and I'm proud that throughout the past four years, I'm giving a piece of me for others. I may not know where the 500cc bag of blood extracted from me may go, but I'm pretty much sure that it goes to where it is direly needed. I'm proud to be in service of humanity, especially through a piece of me, through my blood.

Want to donate blood and give a piece of your life? Contact the National Blood Center: http://www.redcross.org.ph/nbs

No comments:

Post a Comment