Tuesday, February 23, 2016

IMITATION towards REALITY

When I find time to write on things, I make sure I grab the chance. Mahirap ulit mawalan sa kawalan. xDDD

===

In the past few months of journeying with life, I used as a guide a little book. Little as it seemed, it focused on the big things of life, especially one's relationship with the Lord. It has been used by many generations, especially by those in the religious life, clerics and nuns.

The title: Imitation of Christ by Thomas a' Kempis.

The book was given to me by a very close friend last October, as a birthday/vestition gift for that year. Being not so fond of reading books, it took me some time to read it. Until that night, I never thought what was inside the book. It was until one November night when I tried to see what's inside the book.

And indeed, it was more than what I expected.

From simple basics of faith, to things that helped me decide on which road to take, the Imitation guided me step by step, page by page, towards attaining holiness in a not-so-quick manner, in the here and now.

In the book, I reflected on how important obedience is, how great it feels to carry the cross and to pursue with the road of the cross, to keep my mouth shut except in praising God, among many others. As I read, I resolved to do these things the next day, to become better, to accept everything in patience, to be moderate, to control, and to become a model.

Imitating Christ in today's reality is very hard to do. Indeed, especially in a judging and criticizing society, you'll find it very hard to be another Christ. But then, reading books and contemplating on them can certainly help you achieve a better way of life, one patterned after Jesus. as long as you open yourself and your ideals to God's divine will and mercy, nothing's impossible.


No comments:

Post a Comment