Thursday, August 04, 2022

INSIDE THE TOMB OF JESUS (Originally Posted on FB - April 6, 2020)

The Holy Sepulcher of Jesus
NOVEMBER 17, 2019. It was the first Sunday I would be able to enter Jerusalem since I came here for seminary formation. Being a newbie here in the Holy Land, this is a dream come true for me. I have always dreamed of entering the Holy City and venerate the places connected to our faith and salvation. There is no time to lose and only one place to visit: The Church of the Holy Sepulchre.



There were a lot of pilgrims during that time, and the Church was packed (if ever this happened today I might have more time due to the quarantine.). Nevertheless, we tried our best to draw closer to the Edicule, the area where the Tomb of Jesus was located. A few moments later, to my surprise, we were already inside his Tomb. Tears and goosebumps in a manner I could never explain gripped my heart. We sure stayed for more than 5 minutes, but to me it was like forever!

The best ten minutes of my life were spent here:
inside the Tomb of Jesus.

Inside the Tomb of Jesus, as I have noticed it, is darkness. Only the oil lamps give light to the area where the body of Our Lord was laid, just enough to see what's inside. In this darkness, God granted me to see his light... the light which scatters the darkness of the night. This tomb, this empty tomb, stands witness to the reality that my Lord has died, but he has victoriously risen from the dead!

This encounter gave a concrete meaning to everything I believed since childhood and gave more meaning to celebrating Holy Week. In the midst of the crises and sickness we are facing, we are reminded that Our Lord and Master has suffered even death for us, but he has triumphed with his glorious resurrection! We may endure darkness now, but it will not stay for long, for our faith in the Lord who died and rose for us will grant us light and guide our paths towards him.

To all, let us continue persevering in our faith in this time of darkness. We may die or fail, but God will raise us up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment